Monday, May 12, 2008

Days 8 & 9 revisited

Day 9 (+8) Posted May 6, 2008

I'm still pretty amazed that I'm doing this. I wonder when the reality will set in. The routine is still coming around, much easier, obviously on the days I'm at home. I'm thinking of doing the master cleanse on the days I can't be home to make the juice, but I know that means we don't get the greens in, so I'm not sure how to deal with that. I really don't like the idea of drinking old juice. It's been drilled into me for years and years how the enzymes deteriorate quickly once the flesh is compromised. I made 4 quarts the other day that I used for the rest of the day, and they tasted fine, but it was still in the back of my mind that they weren't as nutritious. Anyway, I have 80 some days to figure it out, right, David? Good thing!

I feel well. I had some sinus stuff going on the other day and today which surprised me. I used to have horrible sinus problems in my less nutritious days, but once I alleviated dairy and meat, I haven't had to deal with that. I haven't had a stuffy nose in years and years. So I was surprised when I couldn't stop sneezing and my nose kept running Sunday and today. It was definately cleansing as there was not yucky flu or cold-like symptoms to accompany them. Both sessions were about 3 hours long. I thought of hayfever, but I was in the city the first time, and at home in the country today, completely different allergens.

I am very pleased that my candida symptoms are non-existent finally. I have had problems with this sporadically over the years, but when I went raw last October, this became a very serious outbreak in December. I came to learn in January that it was due to the high fat content of my diet. I was eating a lot of salads, but had to have my dressings and avocados and nuts. Since the vegetables in the salads were so non-caloric, it really raised my fat percent over the top. One of the reason I decided to juice feast was because I felt the only way I could get over the fat addiction was through juice fasting (feasting). And, I am happy to say, that seems to be the case, finally. That has been one memorable struggle.

I lost 8 1/2 pounds my first week. I'm not quite sure what to make of that. It is very hard to lose fat, so I have to think it has to do with water retention, etc. I wish I knew more about the way fat unassembles itself in the body. I tried to google it, but all the explanations were over my head. if anyone knows that's reading, please let me know a good source.

Speaking of giving up the fat addiction, I was thinking about giving up those last little bits of comfort eating which can no longer be employed when one is juice fasting/feasting. I even did a blog entry on my other blog page on "Raw Emotions". Then when I listened to David and Katrina's Day 9 video, Angela Stokes was on there telling of a book she had written by that name. I wrote my blog about it after my husband and I had had a particularly tense day, and I realized we both really didn't know to deal with the naked emotions when we don't have our favorite tool for burying our feelings. We both have been not using our old junk food items, so it has been a struggle that came to a head that day. I think when we both realized that our pardigm is shifting, it was a little easier to deal with it, and try to see it coming. I began my juice feast a couple of days after that, so it has been on my mind a lot especially when I have junk food cravings. I won't say it is junk food craving as much as it comfort food cravings. I think I can honestly say now that my body wants those foods more to bury the emotional swings than it does to satisfy any physical need. So there you have it. I really had never known I was an emotional eater. I thought I just loved high fat foods.

I'm still working on a solution to that. I noticed at an AA meeting once several years ago that all the drunks had several other addictive substances they were using (coffee and tobacco) to help them get over the alcohol. I wonder how we become healthy enough emotionally not to need anything. I think this juice feast will help me discover the answer to that.

I want to say how much I enjoy the videos that David and Katrina make for each day. I don't really know why. Not too much new information. Maybe it just feels like I know there is a lifeline there.

No comments: