Monday, May 12, 2008

New Direction Day One revisited

I mentioned a few days ago that I was a little frustrated keeping up two blogs. I have done a reasonable job keeping up my juice feast blog at the expense of this one, when all of a sudden it dawned on me that my blog there will only be there as long as I keep my subscription up. Should I decide at some point that I am ready to move on, my juice feast blog would disappear! What a shock. So I am going to have to figure out a way to log it in here I think since this blog is here to stay. I know my experiences with it are not those of others who might read this, but because it such an important part of my life, it is important to have it here.

I guess I will first post the first 14 days of my juice feast on this day, and then I will move on from there.

Day OnePosted by Cindi on April 28, 2008 at 3:53pm

Well, I have to say, this day has not been anything like I expected. I am not new to raw food (Sept. 2007), but I am surprisingly light-headed and forgetful today. My stomach is a little upset tonight. I did not expect detox symptoms. I went through a whole week at Hippocrates in December without anything.

I'm thinking this is because I am including fruit juice which is known for their cleansing capabilities. Of course, at Hippocrates, fruit is off limits. So, it is is a good thing to feel things happening in my gut.

I am surprised too at how "clean" it feels even though there is a coating on my teeth. They even hurt a little bit.

Juice one was a head of celery, 13 oz of mixed greens (alfalfa sprouts, spring mix, spinach, and parsley), one half a pineapple, one half a lemon, one cucumber. Not too tasty, at least at the beginning. It kind of grew on me as I drank it. I ran the greens through the omega and the pineapple and celery in the centrifugal juicer.

Juice two was one that I drink nearly every day: 4 grapefruits and 2 tangerines (prepared in a reamer).

Juice three was a quart of strawberries, red navels, tangerines, one lime, and a large handful of spinach. I juiced the citrus in a reamer, and did the blender / nut mylk bag thing with the rest of it. Tasty, but a quart of this is a lot of juice. It took me almost an hour to drink it. My tummy is still gurgling.

I find 2 lbs of greens to be very overwhelming. Before when I drank green drinks I would have a few leaves of kale, a couple of stalks of celery, a cucumber, some sprouts. I weighed my greens because when I looked at the huge container of spring mix and spinach (Costco carries these organic) and realized that was supposed to be for one day, I was pretty shocked. Even eating salads, this would easily last me a couple of days in my pre-juicefeast days. We have several parsley plants in the garden, but at 2 lbs. a day, this would be wiped out pretty quickly.

In fact, day 1 of a 92 day juice feast is freaking me out in general right about now. I don't see how anyone ever makes it that long. Not from a hunger point of view or anything like that. It is a lot of work and will be difficult on my busy days (today was not). I read Angela Stokes' booklet on juice feasting and particularly enjoyed the log of her 92 days, but I still find the concept overwhelming.

Well, I have to go figure out what my 4th quart of juice will be. Not really hungry.

No comments: