Monday, May 12, 2008

Day two revisited

Posted April 29, 2008

Surprisingly uneventful. I keep waiting for something to happen. No hunger yet, but I have had cravings. My husband is watching to see how it goes before he begins a juice feast, so that salad he had today looked mighty good. And the bananas! I'm not even a big fan of bananas, but they sure looked good! I know some of you have mentioned them in your juices, but that sounds a little non-juicy to me. I don't like smoothies with bananas in them either, so that doesn't appeal to me.

Cleaned out the freezer today. I didn't realize it was so clogged up until I went to get some ice blocks to ice down my juice. I am excited for when the cleaning out my environment phase starts up.

I don't eat frozen food anymore, but I still have a standup freezer from my former life. I have a lot of frozen water blocks stored in there. I live in Florida, and since we have a well, whenever there is no electricity, we have no running water. During one of the hurricane seiges a few years back, ice was a big deal as people couldn't keep what perishables they could find cold without it, so when I stopped eating frozen foods, I decided to start freezing water.

Now, after all these months, life seems so much simpler. I'm not anxious to find out, but I can't help but think another seige like that would not be as hard on us. I am a little concerned about where we'd get fresh fruits and vegetables. We have planted a garden and have fruit trees that are still young and not producing yet. Of course, during a severe hurricane, there is no guarantee any of that would not be torn up and uprooted. Nevertheless, the less of a big deal food becomes, the less concerned I am about how I would get through it. Another thing that would be better is body temperature. In Florida, most of us live in air-conditioned environments. Since going raw, I am much better able to handle outside temperatures, even in a working environment.

I was very interested in reading about the master cleanser and the simplicity provided by it. I think David said one could live on it for an extended period of time. How much simpler could it be especially during a high stress emergency situation? One wouldn't need to be loaded down with foods that robbed you of energy when you are trying to get through a bad situation. Of course, authorities recommend the opposite: load up on so-called "comfort" foods. Not a good idea!

I am having a hard time juicing 4 quarts in the morning. It takes forever just to do one quart. I did 2 quarts this morning as I knew I had to go to a meeting and would want some juice before I could get back home. I kinda don't like the idea of drinking non-fresh juice. I don't know why. I suppose getting all 4 quarts done in the morning would help me drink it more as I only ended up with 3 1/2 quarts yesterday. I've gotten down 3 today, and it's late, but I will try to do another one when I finish this.

As I've gone through some of the juice feaster blogs, a common thread is getting into a routine. I know this will happen as I am a very routine driven person, but so far, not so much. Of course, that is a frustration for me.

Elimination has been good and no diarrhea as I expected. No other reactions either. I still feel a little overwhelmed by the whole 92 day thing. I am so grateful I started this when the rest of the feasters were already into it 60 days as it has helped me to see that it is possible to go the distance. Then I go read their early blogs and realize we all have similar things going on.

I went to bed earlier than usual last night as I was more tired than usual. I usually get by on 5 hours a night, but every once in a while I feel the need for more, so I'm unsure if the tiredness was one of my make-up days, or feast related. I woke up ealier than usual, but was too lazy to go ahead and get up.

Also lost 4 lbs of water weight when I weighed today. Maybe dehydration.

I'm not doing any of the recommended supplements. I'll go into that on a later day maybe. I fully intend to have my quart of water upon awakening, but I get up at 5:00, hurry to shower and dress so that I can get out the door by 5:30, and teach a class that starts at 6:15. I'm not disciplined enough to get up earlier yet, and because my ROUTINE previously never included grabbing a quart of water on my way out the door, I always remember after I get on the road that I forgot it. I will try to do better on that because I can feel that I am a little dehydrated in the morning.

I guess that's it for day 2. What a rush!

juice journal:

1. green juice with spring mix, spinach, alfalfa sprouts, (not the 2 lbs yet!), 1 head of celery, 1 cucumber, 1/2 a pineapple, and 1/2 a lemon.
2. 4 grapefruits and 2 tangerines
3. watermelon (1 qt's worth)
4. yet to be determined - spinach and something

No comments: