Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Theories and Suppositions

We were away from home during the breakfast hour, so Roger packed apples and bananas to have in the car. I like bananas best when they are not overly ripe, although I know they are sweeter when they are riper. I like to freeze them or use them in the banana brittle recipe when they are really ripe as they add the necessary sweetness to the recipe.

I did a little experiment with the almonds I bought at the co-op yesterday. There has been this big toodoo about pasteurizing almonds making them not raw anymore (like a pasteurized juice is not raw). I heard that the pasteurization of almonds takes place before they are hulled and is an effort to kill all the e-coli bacteria that are on them before they are shelled. I was thinking this might not be enough heat to actually kill the nut inside the shell, so I decided to try to sprout the ones I got from the co-op which I am pretty sure were pasteurized. Lo and behold, they sprouted just fine, so my theory, I believe is correct. The almond is still alive inside the large hull, and would therefore, still have its enzymes intact. Yay!

So I have been soaking and sprouting almonds and walnuts and cashews and have had them in the dehydrator this week. I need to put the chili-garlic sunflower seeds in tomorrow as they are sprouted, but I don't have any room until the other nuts come out. The cashews were done dehydrating today, so I curried them, and they will spend another day in there.

One of the things in my order yesterday that I was out of was my hemp seed, so I made a quart of hemp seed sour cream today. Man, is that tangy and good! I think the hemp helps it be creamier and not as chalky as cashews by themselves. I'm thinking it will be a great base for a cheesecake, so I am going to experiment with that with some irish moss.

We still had a pint of refried no-beans, so I made a large batch of salsa and sliced some avocados to have living tacos using romaine leaves as the shell. With the sour cream, it was a meal fit for a king. I can't eat that too often. I think I could eat it everyday, and that is unusual for me.

We all had fruit for lunch earlier in the day; mine was some of those lovely honey mangos. I feel as though I've died and gone to heaven when I eat them. Surely the golden gate is surrounded by honey mango trees. Wyatt ate 4 oranges and a bunch of apples. Roger had his banana bowl. It is funny how we all have our favorite fruit and it is different from everyone elses.

Well, that was our day. Totally delish.

No comments: