Saturday, April 18, 2009

I Do Love the Juice!

I got to work early this morning, so Roger made me a wonderful juice for breakfast: a whole quart of the most delicious grapefruit juice I've ever had. It was fantastic, and it was just the thing to get my day off to a wonderful start.

I made some ranch dressing for the weekend and had more than would fit in the quart jar, so I put it in a little pickle jar. When we got on the road I was using it to dip some celery sticks, and then we picked up our CSA from Fruitland and there were some of their delicious tomatoes, so I enjoyed some of those along with the celery. I also had a cup of raisin cheese to eat with some of the celery, so that was a nice dessert.

For dinner, Alicia made a spiced papaya that she serves over spinach leaves. She makes a lovely caper lemon sauce to pour over it, and it is quite yummy. I get way too into the moment to remember to take pictures. Sorry. Maybe next time.

Ranch dressing/dip

This recipe comes to me from the raw body twins, a couple of sisters who started a business helping raw fooders find their inner beauty. Their website is therawbodytwins.com.

1-1/2 c nuts (cashew or mac or combo)
Soak them for a creamier dressing (1-2 hr is fine, then drain)
3/4 - 1 c filtered water for blending
3 T lemon juice (translates into approx 1/2 lemon)
1/3 c cider vinegar
1/3 c evoo
3 T agave (or 3 soaked dates)
2 cloves garlic
1 t garlic powder
3 t onion powder
1 t dill
1 T sea salt
1/2 t basil

And to add after it's done:

1/4 c finely minced parsley
another 1/2 t dill, minced

Makes 3 cups. Serving size 2 T. Blend all ingredients till creamy and smooth except the last 2, then once blended, stir in the last 2 ingredients. Thickens in fridge. Thin to desired consistency if using as a dressing, or toss into wet lettuce leaves as is. Number of servings: 24

No comments: