Friday, April 17, 2009

Mono Meals


Sometimes our best meal is a mono meal meaning a meal that only consists of one food item. I especially like this type of meal when the food is something that has been out of season and unavailable for a period of time. That happened to us today as we found some first of the season watermelons at the farmers market. It was absolutely delicious.


Towards the end of last summer, I bought a couple of watermelons knowing they were going out of season but hoping I could prolong the enjoyment a little longer. I couldn't. They weren't very good. So I let out a nice, long sigh, and decided to wait the long winter out.


When my kids told me there were watermelons there, I asked if they had samples out. They said no, so I said I won't buy them til I know they're good. There are far too many rogue watermelons running around out there. However, when I went today, one nice senorita gave me a sample, and it was good, so I decided to give it a try. I'm so glad I did. What a feast! (That's one of the secrets actually, and a good reason to shop where farmers are selling. They're proud to show off their good produce. I can't begin to tell you how many bad peaches I've purchased over the years from the grocery store. Now I don't buy any produce from the grocery store at all.)

Anyway we enjoyed a huge melon and can't wait til the next opportunity. $10 for a meal for 6 ain't bad either. I love mono meals!



For a light dinner, we had some leftover refried no-beans on some romaine leaves with some fresh guacamole and hemp cheeze sour cream. The corn chips were finally done, so they helped us finish off the guac. Umm, umm, good.







Today's picture. I'm just not very photogenic. I don't think we're going to get a good one here.

No comments: