Friday, April 17, 2009

Getting Ready for Cinco de Mayo


This has to go down in history as one of the worst pictures ever. I had to post it cause I promised myself I would, but then I decided that was okay, because this is truly one for posterity! They will know how wacky their great great grand maw maw was when they see this one! I think I'm actually snarling or something. I don't remember doing that, so maybe I have palsy...

We made more sprouted wheat crackers this morning. Just trying to keep up with demand. Wyatt really loves them, and I worry that he'll eat more than is good for him. I try to get him to eat something green with them, but he can eat a ton of salad too. I guess I shouldn't worry so much about it. I wonder how different a sprouted wheat kernel is compared to just a dry wheat kernel. In theory, a sprouted kernel is a living plant compared to the dry seed where the energy is stored in the germ waiting to be awakened. If it is ground and cooked, the life force is killed, isn't it? When I dehydrate the crackers, I only do so at a low temperature so that it doesn't kill the sprout. I have to hope that is a good thing.

Anyway, after the sprouted wheat crackers, we made some refried no-bean pate. We were wanting some living tacos for dinner tonight. They turned out extremely good. We made guacamole to go on top of them, and dolloped a spoon of hemp cheese sour cream on it. They were out of this world. I was hoping for some corn chips, but I forgot to make them and start dehydrating them last night, so this morning was too late. We'll have them tomorrow. It's all good. We used some beautiful red leaf lettuce we get from one of our CSA (Community Supported Agriculture) farmers as our "taco", and I can't remember when I've had a better meal. I meant to take pictures for the blog, but I got too caught up in the moment. [Hey, I took a video of this the next day from the leftovers. Check it out.]


Refried No-Beans

2 cups hulled sunflower seeds (soaked and sprouted)
3/4 cup sun-dried tomatoes (soaked)
1 Tablespoon Nama Shoyu
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
2 teaspoons chili powder
2 teaspoons ground coriander
1 teaspoon lemon juice
2 Tablespoons olive oil
1 Tablespoon agave
1 teaspoon sea salt, plus more to taste

Place all ingredients into a food processor. Process until you have a refried beans consistency. If you need more moisture, add one Tablespoon at a time of the sundried tomatoes soak water.

This tortilla recipe is for a whole dehydrator full (9 shelves). Doesn't last too long around here.

Golden Tortilla Chips
from Everyday Raw by Matthew Kenney (doubled recipe)

3 1/2 c flax meal
8 c frozen corn, thawed
3 c water
5 T olive oil
2 T cumin
1 large red onion
2 cloves garlic
1/2 T sea salt
8 t lime juice
1/8 t cayenne
4 t chili powder

Place chili powder, flax meal, and cayenne in a large bowl. Blend remaining ingredients in a blender in batches to liquify. Stir liquified mixture into flax meal mixture. Stir well to break up clumps of flax meal. Spread about 1 1/2 cups batter over Teflex sheet. After dehydrating about 1 1/2 to2 hours, score chips. Sprinkle with additional salt if desired. Dehydrate 12 hours, turn, and finish dehydration.

We also made another fruit pie to share. These are very nice for those who like to have a healthy dessert. I'd rather just have the fruit, but others go a little crazy over it, so I try to accomodate them. No recipe. Just a crust, some bananas, slice some fruit, whatever is in season. If prepared ahead and refrigerated, the pectin in the fruit will help it all stick together a little more when it is served, but it's still going to be all over the plate. No one minded.

No comments: