Monday, April 20, 2009

Busy Day in the Kitchen (no computer!)

My computer was gone yesterday, so I couldn't write my recipes. We had "save the tuna" tuna for lunch (saving the tuna because none were killed in its preparation). We had some ranch dressing to pour on which I posted yesterday.

I am having to prepare some food for a seminary party we are having for Trae who turned 18. I try to do something special for them when they are graduating. It is a bit of a challenge to think of food they will like that is consistent to my values. I started some corn chips when I got home from church. Then today I found out we're doing it tomorrow, so I just fixed regular food for today. I marinated some broccoli yesterday cause I wanted to make a broccoli cheese soup with the Cheddar Cheeze. It was amazingly awesome. I got the marinated broccoli idea from a workshop we went to at Present Moment. There was no recipe; just pour these items onto 3 cups of prepared vegetables (any vegetables, but they suggest broccoli, carrots, and mushrooms for the lasagna).

onion powder
chili powder
nama shoyu
sesame oil
maple syrup
crushed fresh garlic
white pepper

Anyway, I just put a pile of marinated broccoli in each soup bowl. In the blender, I put what cheddar cheeze was left from last week with some rejuvelac, enough to make it soupy. After it was mixed up good, I poured it over the broccoli. It was the best broccoli cheese soup I've ever had! I loved it.

For dinner, I shredded some zucchini to have with marinated mushrooms, carrots, and the rest of the broccoli. I also made a pasta sauce to pour over. It was kind of a pasta primavera. Very tasty.

Best Pasta Sauce Ever

(This is from Chef Olive in Orlando; Pam's recipe)

2 C chopped fresh tomatoes
2 cloves garlic, peeled
1/2 C fresh basil
1/4 C chopped onion
1/2 C raisins
2 tsp dried oregano
2 T olive oil
2 tsp paprika
2 tsp sea salt
1/2 C sun-dried tomatoes, soaked
1/8 C fresh cilantro (optional)
1/8 C fresh parsley (optional)

In a blender (I use food processor), combine the tomato with the garlic, basil, onion, raisins, oregano, olive oil, paprika, and sea salt. Blend well. Add the sun-dried tomatoes to the mixture and blend again, slowly adding water until desired consistency.

Thanks Pam!!!

I also started another batch of Cheddar Cheeze, a triple batch, in fact. I can't get enough of it, and I can't wait for another bowl of soup. I'm thinking it will be good with cauliflower too. I also started some orange zest soaking in some agave; I'm going to make creamsicles tomorrow. We started sunflower seeds to make a new batch of seasoned sunflower seeds, a batch of mayo (a staple we like to keep on hand), and more wheat for rejuvelac. We had a busy kitchen day. We also got the corn chips out, and I put some soaked sesame seeds in for tahini. Chef Olive recommended soaking and dehydrating seeds we use for butters, so I am going to give it a try.

Here's the recipe for the mayo (Chef Olive):

2 cups cashews and 1/2 cup pine nuts
1 1/2 cups Thai coconut water
3 - 4 cloves of peeled garlic
1/2 cup lemon juice
1 T sea salt
1/4 cup stone ground mustard

Delicious for the un-Tuna recipe, but Roger loves it with sliced tomatoes. It is a tasty spread on the sprouted wheat crackers to make tomato sandwiches.

So no pictures today, but 3 recipes, so hopefully I have redeemed myself.

No comments: