Sunday, April 12, 2009

Moving in a Different Direction


Because I have been looking for a venue for my raw food journey, and because I have used this resource for that purpose while I was juice feasting, I have decided to take it in a different direction in case there is anyone out there who cares what I am doing. I am asked for my recipes a lot, and this might be a good way to keep track of my experiments.

Keep in mind, I have never been much of an experimental cook. I have always been a strict recipe follower. Also keep in mind that due to my work schedule, I do not have a lot of time for preparing or experimenting. We eat a lot of standard salads during the heavy work schedule.


I got a new book at Borders the other day called The Complete Idiot's Guide to Eating Raw. A lot of people are put off by being called an idiot, but I think I am an idiot in many different aspects of my life, why not in the way I eat?

There was actually a number of good recipes in here I would like to try. I bought the book because they had quite a few rejuvelac recipes, and I have been looking to branch out there as I love the rejuvelac cheeses. This one takes it a step farther into salad dressings and sauces, and I have been fearful about taking that additional step. (Hence the idiot status is completely accurate.)


Here is a picture of the next batch of rejuvelac that is in the works. Wheat or some other grain is sprouted. Once the sprouts are about 1/4 inch long, they are mixed with water and allowed to ferment for a couple of days, stirring at least 2x a day.

I made some rejuvelac at the latter part of the week and put it in the fridge to finish up while we did a weekend trip to Daytona for opening day at Jackie Robinson Ball Park. It was still waiting for me when I returned, so I was more than happy to put it to good use. We used up the last of our raisin cheeze last week, and we have celery positively dying to have some more. So that was the first order of the day. Jaray asked me for that recipe last week, so here it is:

Raisin Cheese

4 cups cashews
Enough rejuvelac to blend it (about 2 1/2 cups)

Blend until smooth; pour into 1/2 gallon glass container and let sit at room temperature overnight. Grind 2-3 cups of raisins in the food processor. (Don't wash as you will use the bowl to prepare the cheeze.) Put into a separate bowl while you mix the cashew cheese into cream cheese thusly:

Cashew Cream Cheeze

Cashew cheese prepared in previous recipe
1/2 cup lemon juice
1/4 cup OVOO
2 t sea salt

Blend in the food processor and empty into bowl with chopped raisins. Mix thoroughly. We then put this in 1/2 pint jars and try to limit ourselves to one jar at a setting. It is soooo good.

In the idiot book, there is a recipe for Hemp Cheeze I am also trying which can then be used for sour creme.

Hemp Cheeze

4 cups cashews soaked at least 2 hours
1/2 cup hemp seeds
2 cups rejuvelac
1 t salt

Place all ingredients in the blender, and blend for 40 - 60 seconds until very smooth. Place in a 1/2 gallon mason jar. Cover and allow to sit in a warm place overnight. Use as a dip for crudites and/or as a base for sour creme.

Sour Creme

1 cup Hemp Cheese
1/4 cup EVOO
1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
water as needed for consistency and blending (additional rejuvelac can be used)
pinch of salt

Blend ingredients in blender only adding water slowly and as needed. Blend on high speed for 20 seconds. Add needed water and blend an additional 30 seconds until creamy and smooth.

Chill at least 30 minutes before serving. "Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 or 5 days. It is perfect to serve with burritos, tacos, and any other savory dish as well as desserts."

Here is another version of cashew cheeze I want to try from the idiot's guide:

Cashew Cheese

2 cups cashews
1 cup filtered water (I used rejuvelac)
1/3 cup red bell pepper, ribs and seeds removed, and diced
2 1/2 T green onion, diced
2 T fresh cilantro, minced
1 t garlic, minced (optional)
1 t nama shoyu (or to taste)
1/4 t sea salt (or to taste)
Pinch crushed red pepper flakes

Place cashews and water in a blender, and blend on high speed for 40 - 60 seconds or until very smooth.

Place mixture in a quart-size mason jar. Cover and allow to sit in a warm place overnight.

Transfer cashew mixture to a large mixing bowl. Stir in remaining ingredients. Serve immediately (I think it would benefit from sitting for flavors to combine) or store in an airtight glass container for 3 to 4 days. This recipe provides a great base for a variety of dips. Red bell pepper can be blended into the cheese in the blender if you want an orange cheese. Other nuts (macadamia or pine) can be substituted if desired, and other herbs can be used.


Roger is making a raw fruit pie. He loves them, and I could care less, so he is the official pie maker in the family now although I don't mind whipping one up every once in a while.

Our main innovation there is that we use dry almond meal leftover from almond milk. After making the milk, we run it through a nut milk bag, and spread the residue on a tray in the dehydrator. After it dries, we place it in pint jars. To make the pie crust, we grind the meal up in the food processor until it is like a coarse flour, then add dates until we get the consistency we want. We add some cinnamon and a pinch of salt as well. This is pressed into the pie plate, and the pie can be whatever you want to add. I made this crust with agave last week instead of dates, but I think the dates give it a better consistency.

No comments: