Monday, June 1, 2009

Waldorf Salad

We went to Jacksonville last night for seminary graduation and our granddaughter Brooklyn's 1 year birthday, so I was pretty beat last night when it came time to get the old quill out for record keeping. Let's see how much I can remember about yesterday...

I know we had a Waldorf Salad for lunch after church. This is one of my favorite salads, and we don't have it often. I'm not sure why. I guess we don't want to get tired of it...

I like to serve this salad over a head of lettuce.

Mix well in a mixing bowl:

1 cup of chopped apples
1 cup of chopped celery
¼ cup raisins
¼ cup walnuts (I use soaked & dehydrated walnuts)

Mix together and dress with the following mayonnaise:

Blend in a blender till creamy smooth:

1/2 cup water
4 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
2 tablespoons raw agave or honey
2 teaspoons sea salt

For creaminess choose one and add to the blender mixture, creaming well:
1 1/2 C chopped young coconut meat
1 1/3 cup raw cashews
1 ripe hass avocado

This mayo can be used as a sandwich spread or as a delicious dressing for any kind of salad. I've made it with each of the three "creamers", and they are all good. Just go with whatever you have on hand. I'm really into the avocado one right now.

Before church everyone munched on their fruit of choice, and you already know what I chose (mangos). After we got home from Jacksonville, I had some celery and raisin cheese after I ate some of the watermelon Alicia cut up for dinner. It wasn't a truly great one, but it was adequate and hit the spot.

Today Wyatt and Angelina made a fruit salad for breakfast. I took a picture but will have to post it when I have more time. More fruit for lunch for most of us, and then for dinner we had another kale salad, cucumber salad, and an save-the-tuna salad served over romaine lettuce with a tomato/pineapple/red pepper/onion/parsley salsa. It was very good. I made the above mentioned mayonnaise instead of the one I've made with it before. I think it was good. We had a dinner guest, Stephen Miracle, one of Darius' oldest friends. I think he liked it as well.

After dinner we had some delicious strawberries, some raisin cheese, and some more celery. Strawberries really taste good with raisin cheese, a little like that dip everyone makes with marshmallows.

No comments: