Monday, June 8, 2009

Watermelon Feast Day

Today was fast and testimony day, so we did not eat until after our church meetings. We had some sugarbaby melons left from the market, so we had a wonderful watermelon feast. These were not as sweet as some I have had, but they were wonderfully hydrating after 19 hours of no fluids. They were tasty as well, just not the best I've had. Actually one of the 4 we cut open was delicious, the others were just okay.

Do we expect perfection each time we eat a fruit or vegetable? We had some cherries this weekend as well. Almost every one of them was an exquisite jewel of goodness. The few that weren't were a lesson in opposites. It helps us appreciate the good when we have something to which to compare it.

I had some of those cherries for dinner, and I will never cease to think of them in the off season. They are truly memory makers.

We also had some of Roger's salad left over from yesterday, so we had that. I think the children nibbled on fruit all day as well. It was a simple day.

Tonight I made some more rejuvelac for the week, started more wheat seeds sprouting, and used the rejuvelac that was ready for some more cashew cheese. The cashew cheese that was ready was used for some cheddar, some yogurt, and more raisin cheese. We needed to stock up! Our supply had diminished drastically! Can you tell we like this stuff?

We also packaged our finished zucchini chips and started more. Some of the heirloom tomatoes we had put in the dehydrator were ready, so we packaged them. We also cut up some peppers for the dehydrator along with a few more trays of zucchini and yellow squash. We have 2 dehydrators now going full tilt: 18 trays.

We started some marinated broccoli for some broccoli soup tomorrow. Everyone said they like the dehydrated broccoli texture better than the fresh for this application, so I guess we are going to start some broccoli drying tomorrow. Should be interesting. I got out my dehydrator book I bought when I got my dehydrator, and Alicia was able to find lots of other concoctions I had forgotten about. One is an herbal tea made from raspberry leaf. We have literally tons of that in our garden growing as a weed, so we will probably try some of that. I used the raspberry leaves in my juices last year, but I hadn't thought of them as a tea. Of course that makes sense. I think raspbery leaf is supposed to be a good blood cleanser. Sounds we have a new avenue to pursue.

2 comments:

S.Miracle said...

"... Almost every one of them was an exquisite jewel of goodness. .."

Who needs pictures when you can write like that :).

Good posts.. almost philosphical with the question, "Do we expect perfection each time we eat a fruit or vegetable?"

desacad said...

Thanks! Eating such exquisite foods puts one in a philosophical frame of mind. I can't believe how good it is sometimes.