Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Planning for the Market

I'm not doing too much cooking this week because I have a lot of work to do with school, but I did come up with some items that might be good for the market. We are committed to making 2 items for sampling each week, so we need to have enough product from the week before so that we have enough for sampling the next week. I made up a tentative schedule, but it will depend on what is available from the suppliers and the garden, and what is leftover. I guess we will figure it out after the market each week for the next week.

I was hoping to make a spinach alfredo, but the spinach is not in good enough shape for that to happen. We have mushrooms that would have been nice stuffed with it.

I think we will make a nice marinated broccoli to serve with shredded zucchini and marinated mushrooms with a marinara or alfredo sauce. Can't decide for sure. For the other thing, maybe we'll make some salsa to have with corn chips or something. Or maybe a lemon pie? or sunnies would be easy since it is a hard work week, and I haven't had much time to make stuff. Alicia made a whole batch of them this week, and I'm sure they're delicious. Of course, we always cut up produce for people to try as well, but we've had so many pre-orders, our table produce might be limited.

Anyway, the other thing on our agenda is the prepared foods that we prepare to have for customers. The honey almond butter went over well as did the ranch dressing. We have pre-orders for both of them as well as for the alicheezits and East Indian Sprouts. I think we'll make more kale salad even though we don't have pre-orders for it. It sold well. I was also wanting to make a pineapple salsa and some salads. I wonder if miso soup would go over well. Then we could use those gorgeous mushrooms. I want to make some guacamole as well. I ordered a whole case of avocados, and I am anxious to make lots of stuff with them.

So, even though I haven't been able to cook much this week, I've had fun thinking about what to prepare. It is kinda fun imagining what people will like, and there is a thrill to seeing them enjoy it. I've never felt like that before even though I've cooked a lot for others. They've always liked it, but I think this is more of a challenge because people assume they WON'T like it. They are surprised and delighted when they do enjoy it. I am getting a satisfaction from this that I didn't from preparing cooked foods. People expect to like that.

We were talking tonight about how we like not having to go to the grocery store anymore. We haven't been for the whole month. We just eat leftover produce! It is very cool. Our menus revolve around what is left, and we are eating like kings. (Raw vegan kings, that is. There probably haven't been a whole lot of them historically.) Fun stuff! It is a challenge to try to eat it before it spoils. We don't like to waste any of it because it is all so beautiful and delicious.

No comments: