Saturday, June 13, 2009

Pineapple Salsa


We met a few people at the market today, but the highlight was seeing all of our "regulars" when they came to pick up their pre-orders. One of our new friends was talking about how frustrated she was that her son is eating so much bread when he has wheat allergies. He is only 6 and will not stop "sneaking" it when they go to church or other areas where it is being served. I told her what I had learned about grains and how they have opiates that cause people to be addicted to them when consumed in large amounts. She had not heard this before, but it was very helpful to me in learning to control my eating to understand the addictive nature of foods that I was craving. Once I could see them for what they were, foods designed to control me, I was able to overcome the urge to eat them. This does not mean that I do not still crave them occasionally (rarely, fortunately), but I know why that craving exists, and it has nothing to do with nourishment.

We talked about the emotional needs that create a dependence on any drug or substance and how even young children have that need. It is kind of scary to think about it.

Everyone liked the pineapple salsa (I think). Here's the recipe I used yesterday to make it:

Pineapple Salsa

1 pineapple cored and peeled and chopped
3 avocados, peeled and chopped
3 jalopeno peppers, seeded, and chopped finely
1/2 carton of sweet mini peppers (about 1 large regular sweet pepper)
1/2 large onion, minced
1 head cilantro, chopped fine
3/4 pound tomatoes, chopped

Mix all together and enjoy. This makes a large recipe. You'll need it! Everyone loves this, including the children.

One of our friends introduced us to the lychee nut. I have heard of this for many years and even seen them at markets, but since I did not know how to eat them, I had never purchased any. She gave us one of hers, so I went to another vender and bought some. They are really delicious. I'll try to u-tube how to eat them, but you just peel the skin off and pop it in your mouth. There's a large seed, so don't bite down too hard. The flesh easily separates from the seed.

No comments: