Saturday, May 2, 2009

When Life Gives You Lemons...

With everyone off and running early this morning, everyone was on their own for breakfast. I had a banana and then some celery with raisin cheeze. Alicia made a salad for lunch, and we had our ranch dressing made with cashew cheeze. It was quite tasty.

For dinner I made some miso soup:

finely minced spinach
1 carrot sliced very thinly
dried shitake mushrooms

These 3 ingredients were put in 1 cup of warm water per serving to rehydrate the mushroom which was then thinly sliced. 1 tablespoon of miso is mixed with 2 additional tablespoons of warm water (per serving), and the vegetable combination is then mixed with the miso blend. It was a little bland, so I may go with more miso next time along with a little less spinach. The children liked it a lot though which surprised me, so maybe bland is good with them.

I made more patties today, so we'd have food tomorrow, and took a quart of corn out to thaw for the mashed cauliflower we'll have with them. I tried to make my sunnies, but they were very weird looking, so I threw them out. I tried to wash them for a long time, but I was worried that they would make someone sick. One thing about fresh food: it is easy to tell when it is not spot on. (One clue should have been the other day when the tray on top of them was warm as though they were composting.) I had already mixed up some garlic and chili powder and had some more sunflower seeds soaking, so I just used them to make a small batch. I had intended them for some refried beans. They don't take long, so I just started some more; they'll be ready by the time we need them. I needed some sunny mixture to make the patties, so I used some of the dried sunnies instead, and I'm sure that will work out just fine.

We have lots of lemons now, so we're having lemonade. I really enjoy it, but we don't have the luxury of extra lemons all that often. We need to make it when we have them. The recipe is easy: 1 cup lemon juice, 1 cup agave in a 1/2 gallon container. Fill with water. Serve over ice. I'll experiment with some other fruits in the summer time.

No comments: