Sunday, May 24, 2009

Sunday Must Have - Mango Salsa

Let's see. Saturday we worked the market all day. The red flame grapes are wonderful, and we are all so glad to see them again after about 6 months with no grapes. I'm not a big fan of blueberries, but we got some very nice ones. I was going to make some parfaits, but we have very few left, so we'll see.

I had a lot of lemons left over, so I decided to try a tip I got from a dehydrator newsgroup. I sliced some up very thinly and dehydrated them on a teflex sheet. When we tasted the finished dry product, they taste like a lemon drop candy without the sugar. There is a small amount of sweetness there anyway. It was a very surprising discovery because I was going for a dried product I could whirl up in the food processor to make a lemon "powder". It will be fun to experiment with it.

I also put some sliced yellow peppers and zucchini in there. Today I did some tomatoes. I like snacking on these items, and the peppers work great in recipes - they add flavor to wet product without diluting it.

Last night we had our pesto on shredded zucchini. Oh my, that is good stuff. I have a pound of basil left over from market I am going to make into pesto. I'm excited to do a little more experimenting with it.

We are going to step up the rejuvelac production. We are using a lot of it - about a half gallon a day. I want to do some videos of that this week.

Today we made a delicious salsa for lunch that involved 1 yellow pepper, chopped; 2 mangos cut in small pieces; 1/2 onion, chopped; parsley; lemon juice; 1 cup corn; tomatoes, chopped, as desired for color and taste. It was fantastic! We used it as a filling with lettuce leaves or tortillas. We also had some ensalada which rounded our lunch out well.

No comments: