Tuesday, May 19, 2009

More Experiments

I'm getting tired, but I am trying to write every day. I have been working a lot yesterday and today, so I am not cooking or eating very much. Yesterday we made milkshakes for breakfast, and that is all I had to eat all day. They really do hold you all day.

I had put some caramelized onions in the dehydrator, and I had some of them when I pulled them out. They really are irresistable. Onions are sliced and mixed with their sauce made of 1 cup dates, 3 tablespoons nama shoyu and a little oil (2 tablespoons) plus 1/4 cup water. They can be dehydrated until they're soft representing a sauteed onion, or they can stay in a little longer to become crispy. I'm going to make some more for the market this week, so I'll try to post a video when I do that.

I have been thinking about the mylkshakes Wyatt likes to have each morning for breakfast. The only fat in them is the almond mylk. I don't know fatty it is, but I was thinking that the consistency of the shakes comes from the bananas, not the mylk. So this morning I only had 1/3 cup of almond mylk left, so I decided to test my theory. I made our morning shake with rejuvelac, lemon juice, agave nectar, and bananas (4 frozen and 2 fresh). It was very yummy, and I loved it. Roger and Wyatt didn't seem to know they were drinking anything different than usual. Of course, if you had both drinks sitting next to each other, I'm sure you would be able to tell the difference. The point is that they are both tasty, but one is significantly lower in fat which is a good thing when you are working with sweet fruit. Fat in the blood stream holds the sugar in the bloodstream instead of letting it do its thing. As the sugar remains in the bloodstream, problems can occur. (Check out 80-10-10 by Dr. Doug Graham.) The issue is not calories OR fat as much as it is on the ability of the sugar to be absorbed into the bloodstream. I'll give numbers after I get it figured out.

Besides my morning mylkshake, I had 3 mangos. I snacked on some of the zucchini chips and dried tomatos and of course, some crispy onions.

I started some buckwheat to sprout yesterday, so today I mixed up some pizza crusts. They are still dehydrating. I've never made them before, so I'll post the recipe after I see what they taste like. We had some beautiful basil at the market Saturday, so I decided to make some pesto to put on the pizza. It seems really nice, but again, I'll let you know. I've never had pesto very much, so it will be a work in progress.

I was making some rejuvelac too, so made some bread with the berries based on Alicia's recipe: sprouted wheat berries (leftover from 1 cup wheat, soaked, sprouted, and juvied), 3 to 4 tomatoes, 1 teaspoon salt, and Italian seasoning. Alicia's recipe used Greek seasoning. Anyway, it's in the dehydrator and will come out tomorrow.

That's it, we're done.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is so good that you guys are doing this together. I have been High High raw for alittle over 2 months now and it would be alot better if I were doing it with others. I am a part of the Jaxraw group (which helps alot), but I don't see them everyday. I will be visiting your booth this weekend. Can't wait to meet you all!!

desacad said...

Thanks. We never forget for even a minute how blessed we are. We know what a challenge it must be for those without any support. I think that is why it is so important for us to outreach. That is what we do to give back for what has been given to us. I'm not trying to sound corny or anything, but we don't want to ever take it for granted. Thanks for commenting, and we look forward to meeting you as well.