Friday, May 8, 2009

Experiments Gone Wild

I'm getting too confident in my experiments. I have never been this fancy free in my cooking. I hope this craziness stops! I don't like the unstructured chef in me...

I've got the dehydrator loaded with a hodge-podge of experiments - well, some of them are tried and true, but there will be a few surprises when the rest comes out. I've got my fingers crossed that they will be pleasant ones.

First, the almond meal went in after I made almond milk this morning. That's no surprise. We have been using it, so we don't have a backlog of it like we did. I am really grateful we found ways to use it as I hated wasting it. We made lemon smoothies as that is something we can take in the car with us.

Secondly, I decided to make some tortillas out of the squash scraps Roger always has after he spiralizes "spaghetti" noodles out of it. There are 1/2 inch chunks that won't go through the machine. He always puts them in the fridge, and I usually throw them out after they go bad. I remembered that I had read about making tortillas out of squash, so I thought I'd give it a go. I poured the squash remnants into the blender with some olive oil, lemon juice, salt, and flax meal. We'll see what pops out.

My last batch of rejuvelac was ready, so I had some berries to process into "banana bread". I think it's kind of nappy, but Wyatt loves it, so he will be glad to see it when he gets home. Roger has been hiding his bread from him, so he hasn't been eating as much, but it is building up too much. I guess I shouldn't make so much.

Then I decided to try a real experiment: rejuvelac "parmesan" made from soaked pine nuts. I mixed in some lemon juice, rejuvelac, salt, and some pizza seasoning, blended it up, and poured it on the teflex. It smells good, but I don't think it will be the right texture. I don't know what we'll do with it. We'll decide when we see how it turns out.


My last dehydrator experiment is "caramelized" onions. I mandolined 3 large onions. In the blender I mixed 3 T nama shoyu, 2 T olive oil, 1 cup soft dates, and enough water to make it blend (about 1/3 cup). Then I just mixed the date paste with the onions and spread them out on the teflex sheets to soften. I guess I need to think of something to eat them with.

I think I'm going to whip up a few dips to take to the market tomorrow as I plan on cutting up some fruit and veggies to share with the passer-bys. I think a lot of people do not realize that organic fruits and vegetables taste different. How are they going to find out if we don't let them try some? Of course, we'll need some dip or something for the zucchini slices, etc. We have lots of cabbage; I wonder what I'll figure out for that... Hopefully I'll be able to post my results, and hopefully they will be positive!

Roger had his first rejuvelac lemonade today; I think he liked it! I guess that will be a keeper.

We stopped taking "bad" food to seminary, and the students have been eating "our" food for the whole week. I took raisin cheeze and apple slices a couple of days, and we had the "peanut butter and jelly" apple slice thing with almond butter and raisins. Roger also gave them bananas once or twice. One day he took apples, and they didn't take any, so that's when we figured out we needed to slice the apples for them. They want their breakfast "fixed" for them! Anyway, they seem to be surviving it ok. They don't miss their processed foods at all (I don't think). This is more work though...

No comments: