Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Just a Bowl of ...

For breakfast today, Darius suggested a fruit salad, and it turned out to be a very good idea. I mixed several ripe bananas with a small pineapple, some grapes, and an orange. There was some yogurt leftover from yesterday that was a nice dressing for it. Yummy!

I dug the kale from the weekend out of the fridge in the shed. Out of sight, out of mind. I had forgotten it was there. I had wanted to make a kale salad. It turned out to be very delicious:

Kale Salad

1 head kale, cleaned of stems, and sliced thinly
3 roma tomatoes, diced
1 avocado, diced
EVOO sprinkled around bowl
1 teaspoon salt
lemon juice sprinkled around bowl

Everything is mushed up together. The marinade helps break down the fibers so that it turns out to have a "cooked" texture and more digestible.

I had a small bowl full right after preparation, but the rest went into the fridge for dinner. I also had a few of my beloved mangos.

For dinner, Alicia shredded up some yellow squash. We topped it with some marinated mushrooms and our "cheddar" we made yesterday. It was the best "mac and cheese" I have ever had, cooked or uncooked. Served with the kale, it was a great meal. Some of us even mixed the kale into the squash, and that was delicious too. Again, a no-brainer!

We just finished up a small bowl of watermelon from a larger one Alicia was cutting up for the seminary students tomorrow. Life may be just like a bowl of cherries as our friend Forrest says. Or a bowl of watermelon...

1 comment:

DT said...

Did Forrest say that? I remember the box of chocolates part... mmm... Cherries!