Thursday, May 7, 2009

New Uses for Old Friends

Not much eating or cooking going on this week as we have been very busy setting up a produce business where we sell organic produce at the Farmer's Market in Jacksonville. We had students today, our opening day, so were unable to be there, but Darius said there was a lot of interest in someone bringing organics there. There are a lot of venders who do not believe people will pay the extra money required for organics, and in this economy they may be right. We'll see. We have felt prompted to do this at this time, so we will see where it takes us. Here are some pictures Alicia sent me of opening day.





















I decided to start making the cashew cheez in gallon batches since I do so many things with it, so I got my rejuvelac made and started a batch yesterday. It starts with 2 quarts of cashews. I also decided to try the rejuvelac lemonade Darius and Alicia told me about. It is kind of weird tasting, but somehow very enjoyable. I like it! It is a great way to get a sizeable amount of probiotics into our system as compared to cheezes which have a lot of fat and are not as digestible as the lemonade. I drank a quart of it for breakfast with no ill effects. I also had several glasses for my dinner last night and had no problems sleeping indicating no digestive upset. So that is good news, I think.

To make rejuvelac lemonade, I mixed 1 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice with 1 cup agave nectar. Then I filled the half gallon container with rejuvelac (instead of water). Easy, easy.

For lunch yesterday, we shredded up several summer squash (called cousca, I think Jeff said), and mixed it with marinated mushrooms. We should have taken a picture of it as it was a very attractive dish. Then we added cheddar cheeze as a sauce individually. I think Angelina ate it without any sauce, and she liked it.

I was inspired by Alicia's salad dressing to try one today outside my usual comfort zone. I had some soaked pine nuts, added the juice from 3 lemons, several spoons of garlic, several spoons of miso, a sprinkle of nama shoyu, and enough rejuvelac to turn the blender blades. It was quite tasty although I still like the ranch better. It is nice to have variety though. I think Alicia's tasted better too, so maybe she used more miso or salt or herbs. I'm not sure...she's holding out on the recipe.

We made 2 pies over the weekend. Sorry I couldn't get here to post about them. Maybe next time. Things have been incredibly crazy this week with all that is going on.

No comments: