Thursday, May 7, 2015

Hummus in a Vitamix



I found a new bread at the store yesterday, and since I only have one starch meal a day, I haven't been able to try it until today. I had to redeem myself from the travesty that was last Thursday's dinner for my son when I used store bought white hoagie rolls and what I thought was vegan cheese. I don't want to talk about it, but you can read about it in last week's post if you really need to know about my bloopers. So tonight was sandwich night again, but much improved.

Our first course was a bowl of chocolate nice cream as we always eat the easily digested fruits before the items that don't digest as quickly. While they were eating their nice cream, I made the sandwiches on the griddle/grill my daughter-in-law gave me for Christmas last year. Nice grill marks! They consisted of hummus spread on both pieces with lots of nice veggies in between: arugula, sliced cucumber, sliced roasted red pepper, banana pepper rings, and green onion spears. I had made the hummus earlier in the day from this new recipe I found on Fat Free Vegan (http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2012/03/hummus-in-the-blender.html). The chickpeas had been cooked over the weekend, and were salt-free. (They were cooked with a few pieces of kombu and some bay leaves. I don't know if the kombu adds sodium or not.) Anyway, that was one delicious sandwich. I have been looking for a sandwich spread to replace my beloved mayonnaise, and I think hummus is a great substitute. I might have to have sandwich day every week, but I know my son likes to try different things, so I'll have it on a different day. Here's what I ate today:

Breakfast: 7 bananas

Lunch: 203 g dried persimmons, 2 mangoes

Dinner: 2 veggie sandwiches: (each sandwich) 2 slices Killer Dave’s 21 Whole Grain bread, ¼ cup Hummus in a Blender, arugula, sultana cucumbers, roasted red pepper, banana pepper rings, green onion

Total calories: 1695 fruit;  2357 total

Caloronutrient ratio (carbs/protein/fat): 85/8/7

No comments: