Thursday, November 6, 2008

Synchronicity


We just got done with our first week working solo. It has been a long time since we've done this. It was not without a few hiccups obviously, but Roger and I have always worked well together amazingly enough. Most people can't even figure out how we got married no less work together.

I wonder that myself sometimes. I think about how people get hooked up all the time. It really is quite an amazing phenomena if you put some thought into it. I know it has to be God that puts us together because most couples are very unlikely candidates when it comes to finding each other. Circumstances under which people meet are usually odd, and what are the odds that they would then be attracted to each other? It really is strange.

I've been reading about syncronicity lately. This is what a lot of people call "coincidences". I have never believed in them, but I do believe in syncronicity. I actually had to look that word up on wikipedia the first time I read it. I couldn't figure out what it meant from the context of what I was reading. Here is that website with the definition (just in case you were wondering):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synchronicity

Now, to put that in my own words, synchronicity is when all the powers that be are working together for one cause. It is interesting that it cannot be caused by your actions (making it a consequence). For example, I have been thinking about yoga for about 6 months now, maybe longer. I have spent a lot of years being inactive and have lost alot of my agility. I was wondering if yoga might help me get some of that back. I was thinking of it kind of casually at first, and then about a week ago, I started thinking of it seriously. Last night I met a young woman who teaches yoga, and I expressed some of my concerns to her. She felt like yoga would really help me, and she gave me the phone number of a studio where I could find some good teachers.

A causal effect would have been me picking up a phone book or googling for a yoga studio and then finding one. Synchronicity is me "thinking" about it really hard and having someone come into my life that is able to resolve my concerns and give me some advice.

How is that not a coincidence? A coincidence would be considered related in some way. To quote wikipedia: "Events that happen which appear at first to be coincidence but are later found to be causally related are termed as 'incoincident'".

That this is a scientific phenomena is extremely fascinating to me. To believe it is scientific, one must acknowledge that there are other powers that be which are greater than we ourselves. I attended a goal setting class once where the teacher said if we write down our goals we are more likely to achieve them because there are folks beyond the veil wanting to help us accomplish the desires of our hearts.

If these postulates are correct, there really is no limit to what we can accomplish if we would but realize the potential to which we could aspire. The only limit to what we can do is US!

According to Lewis Carroll in Through the Looking Glass, "It's a poor sort of memory that only works backwards". What if we could remember forwards?

No comments: