Saturday, November 8, 2008

Just Give It to Me Straight...


Welcome to another edition of "If you write it, they will read it!" I didn't write yesterday as it was one of those totally overwhelming days. I'm still in this state today, but wanted to record some things before I forget them.

Yesterday, Roger and I decided to ask Dorian if he would like us to take Wyatt to raise due to a lot of problems he has been having with him. These are not behavior issues really, although the problems with behavior are significant. Apparently there are mental health issues at play, and he has spent 13 days at a mental health facility where no real answers have been found. Darius and Alicia have agreed to take Angelina, our other grandchild, Wyatt's sister. Apparently someone reported Dorian to DCF and investigators want the children out of his home.

I do not understand any of this. How does this happen to a family? to our family? I wish I could understand that part of it better. I have been praying and praying for help to understand, but understanding does not come. Fortunately though, we do receive revelation for the other aspects like what we need to do and how we should do it.

We are not sure what is going on. Everything is so strange with Roger's brother in Fort Lauderdale, and now this with Dorian, that it feels as though everything in our world is falling apart. There is still a strange sense of calm though. Normally I would be totally freaked out, and I am not. Neither is Roger, and that is even more unusual. I am positive that our dietary choices are helping us get through this, and I'm sure the Spirit knows this would have been a requirement for helping us do what needed to be done.

Angelina is with us this weekend also, but she is having a bit of a detox this morning as she adjusts to life without the processed food she is used to at school breakfast and lunch lines. I know it won't last long, but I feel badly for her. She loves all the fruits and vegetables; she ate a whole tomato for dinner last night along with celery sticks, carrot sticks, cucumber spears, sprouted wheat crackers, and sunflower seed dip. She was a very happy camper. Wyatt tolerates it, not loving it, but eating only it only to survive. They both had a great time using the different dinner components to make faces and animals on their plates. The crackers, broken in half, made great kitty and puppy dog ears. I should have taken a picture! I'll try to remember next time, and then I'll stick it in as an edit.

We had lemonade for breakfast, and I was going to fix Angelina a fruit salad, but she was feeling poorly. She has slept all day, and it is now after 1:00 in the afternoon. Wyatt and Roger went to the flea market as we have been doing a lot of cleaning out and have tons of stuff to get rid of. (Another benefit of eating only living foods is the desire to simplify your lifestyle getting the junk out of your life just like getting rid of the junk in your body. As the body clears the garbage out, so must the junk in your life and your mind.) He is not having detox to my knowledge, but he has been at the hospital for over a week. Maybe they have been giving them more natural foods as they know how sensitive most kids are to chemicals and such. I hope they can make the adjustment to our lifestyles.

I wanted to give a heads up to a post by Steve Pavlina, one of my favorite bloggers. He is doing a juice feast as I've previously blogged about, so I've been following his progress with interest. I wanted to document this post as it has a great part in it about comparing live fooders vs cooked fooders with being color blind. Here is the link, if you're interested.

http://www.stevepavlina.com/blog/2008/11/juice-feasting-day-13/

By the way, day 14 has an interesting post about social activities WITHOUT food. This was equally inspiring for me as I have been thinking about this a lot. So much of our social lives revolve around food. As a member of a church that does not believe in drinking or socializing in the traditional ways, food activities are VERY important. It is hard to think of a church activitity that does NOT revolve around food. So, naturally, this has been on my mind a lot for Roger and I as a couple. Going out to dinner is not as enjoyable an activity as it has been previously. We have been thinking of other activities we enjoy. We have been married 36 years; it is hard to change old habits! We are enjoying our new found activities much more than we ever enjoyed eating out, especially since there was always a down side to the restaurant meals. We are still evolving in this respect, and now that our family dynamic is changing, I'm sure it will change even more!

2 comments:

DT said...

Thanks again for the great reading. I especially like the part on Day 13 of Steve Pavlina's trial where he talks about other people's willingness to even try the raw diet:

"...making important changes now is a lot better than sending me an email someday that begins with the words, 'Hi Steve, I’ve recently been diagnosed with _______, and I was just wondering…'”

I agree. Even though I know I can be a huge influence on a lot of people, I don’t like to push my beliefs on anyone, ESPECIALLY friends and family (even though they are the very people I want to help the most!). But it pains me to see them suffering, even if they don’t know that they are (since, as Steve said, it feels "normal" to them). Equally frustrating are comments on my blog like the one from a friend who says she “believes it;” she just doesn’t practice it. In response to them saying that it is too expensive, we say, not in jest, that organic food is not as expensive as cancer, but I don’t think they take it as seriously as they should, simply because they have not experienced it.

I have another friend (a young man who is 16 years old and obese) that actually began eating raw, inspired by me and my 100-pound weight loss. That lasted about two days, until he realized his parents were not going to support this him in a raw lifestyle. Now, he says that he went back to an SAD diet because he likes meat too much and that it is not normal to not eat meat. I like to think that he really just knows the lifestyle is not possible for him right now, so he came up with that excuse as a means of saving face.

Alicia Trunk said...

I am so grateful for the support that we have in this family. Things are not always easy as we know but they certainly are worth it. Life hands you some interesting prospects and through the Spirit we can discern which is the best one for us. We know that this diet isn't for everyone at this time because of where they are at in this life, but I know that for me it TRULY has been a blessing in some many known and unknown ways.