Monday, July 7, 2008

A day of firsts

Today has started out with a few firsts which bare advertising to the world. We finished up our watermelon from last week that weighed 30 pounds, so Roger picked the next one that was ready. It weighed 35 pounds! Amazing. We had to divide it in half to fit it into the fridge.

Then, after I finished 45 minutes of weeding, I weighed, and there was a 0 after the 2. I realize this still sounds horrendous to all the skinnies out there, but for me, it was truly momentous. I cannot remember the last time my weight was under 210 pounds. While I still have a ways to go, I am beginning to comprehend in my head that it is possible. It is a lot more logical for me to think of losing the fat when I realize it is the result of a toxic overload. As the toxins stop being taken in, the body is able to release those that have been stored. I think the world view of fat is that it is a result of fat being eaten whose excess is stored. We don't store excess protein as protein nor excess carbs as carbs. All excesses are toxins and the body struggles to get rid of them. As we reduce the number of ways that is possible, or when the volume of toxins is more than the body can handle in one "dumping", the body shelves them until we give it a chance to eliminate them. Every once in a while the body will do some major housecleaning, and we call this "the flu" or a cold. Of course, serious overloads result in more serious disease as organs such as the pancreas and adrenals (diabetes) are affected, heart disease, cancer. These are the results when there are no more shelves.

I'm sure I'm oversimplifying here, but it helps me to envision it this way, and so I am able to meditate about releasing toxins and toxic overloads in the form of fat, and letting go of them. I'm sure that as long as I have had them, my body has adjusted to them in a way. It's not sure if it is safe to let them go. I think meditating has helped me to convince it to do so (as silly as that may sound). I tend to be a pretty unrelaxed person, so this helps me in other ways as well. It gives me a wonderful healing feeling.

2 comments:

DT said...

A 35-pound watermelon! My mouth is watering. If you ever get too many of those, feel free to send 'em my way! In fact, can I buy one from you?

desacad said...

Unfortunately, these suckers don't grow on trees! We have been trying to grow watermelon every year forever, and this is the first time we have been successful. One detriment is the lack of pollination by honey bees. We are very blessed to have a nice family of bumble bees living here. (These are the larger bees you see in the cartoons; they don't live in any city I've ever been in.) Usually our watermelon vines become infested with fungus and worms before they can produce fruit, so I'm not sure what was different this year. We have been more attentive this year, so if that's all it takes, perhaps we can look forward to recurring crops. The ample rain has been very helpful. We can see the difference daily in the size of the fruit.

We have pulled the only 2 ripe watermelons off, but we have about 6 in the process of growing. If they all become ripe at the same time, we'll be glad to share one with you. They really are quite delicious. I even like the white part!

I have planted more young plants in the hopes of extending our melon season. Not one of our cantaloupe seeds sprouted (or if they did, the mourning doves ate them). The doves are quite diligent each morning to see what new delights we have set out for them in the form of seedlings! I found some worms on the tomato plants, so I'm pretty sure they're not looking for worms...