Friday, February 2, 2007

Tornadoes Rip Through Central Florida

Having a hard time getting in the habit of journaling every day. This week my schedule has been very irratic, but that is not all that unusual. I used to be good at it, so I guess I need to re-develop the habit.

For posterity's sake, it be wise to mention that yesterday a bad storm front came through Florida causing many tornadoes. Many lost their homes, and there are 14 dead as of now. One of the touch down points was to the southwest of us about 100 miles away. It is frightening to think how one could recover after that experience. I guess it makes us tougher, and we find out how well prepared we are. People think they know what is coming...I don't think we have a clue. When it hits us, we'll say, "Oh, that's what I was told to get prepared for...".

We served at the HSC last night. Austin and Andrea Strickland came up to put up their year's supply of basic foods (grains, beans, milk, and sugar). It was a fun thing to do. I was surprised when I checked her out that it cost less than $600. I would have thought it was more, but then again, I have never purchased everything I need all at once.

Since this was a stressful week for me, I was glad I had my knitting. I joined a dishcloth KAL (knitalong) which makes 2 cloths a month. Since one is done in an evening, it is an easy go of it, totally brainless, and as stress relieving as solitaire except you get something out of it. I stayed up late 2 nights knitting because I could not gear down.

Today I got a package of knitting yarn I had ordered online to make a SCRAWL - a scarf, shrug, or shawl, depending on how it is worn. I bought enough yarn to make matching socks. It will be my new "I'm going to bed now" project. I was going to make a lace shawl, but all of the patterns scare me.

Roger is driving kids to a 5-stake dance tonight. He went buy shoes today, and went to a real shoe store in downtown Palatka where they measure your feet. The guy told him the reason his feet hurt all the time is because his feet are a size 15! Holy cow... So he bought a pair of 15's and says they feel great. I told him they looked geeky, but he doesn't care because of all the pain he has been in.

My tomato seedlings are up and running!

I was trying to decide which peppers to grow this year. The freeze this week finally wiped out my plants from last year. I grew all of them from seed, and they have really produced like crazy. For some reason peppers grow better here than anything else. I wonder why that is.

I decided to do some dehydrating this week. I had some fresh pineapple I had bought. We can never eat the whole thing, so I decided to dehydrate what was left. Didn't want to run the thing just for that, so I opened a #10 can of sliced peaches, drained them, and put them in there too. The pineapple is still drying as they were big spears, but the peach slices are done and mighty tasty. There are some more peppers in the garden that have survived, so I might stick them in there Monday.

I have been thinking more and more about teaching seminary next year. I think that is what I am supposed to do. We are going to fast and pray about it this Sunday.

No comments: