Wednesday, January 31, 2007

reasons to NOT write

I'm thinking today and yesterday were those kinds of days that make me NOT want to write in my journal because my life is so darn boring. I have a lot of things to do, but none of them are too thrilling, especially not interesting enough to actually write about. But then, when I think of reading the things my grandmother did on a day to day basis, if she would have thought to write them down, it would have been interesting to me, and perhaps even helpful. So I will persevere. Anyone reading this can stop now if you'd like.

Monday, I needed to bake 4 more loaves as we had finished up what was left from the Friday baking after Lake City. I was going to take one to a sister who was home recovering from open heart surgery, but that will have to wait until Wednesday when I can go to Crescent City.

The bread was wonderful. I love the aroma. I wish I could bake every day just to smell it.

I made a brilliant discovery a few weeks ago during one of my bread-baking episodes. If I used latex gloves, I wouldn't get bread dough under my fingernails! It goes much faster now that I don't have too dig gook out from under my nails for 1/2 hour each rising...

I made a tuna noodle casserole for lunch because we have this partial bag of potato chips that is all smooshed up. It is driving me crazy, so I have been trying to think of something to make to use them up. The casserole was good, but I really don't make casseroles all that often.

Another problem I have is that I started alfalfa sprouts for the Lake City class but too late. They were still itty-bitty on Friday night. The problem is that NOW they are big, and I have way more than we will eat ever, no less before they go bad. So that was another wasteful undertaking. I have two full trays of the things. I should go hunt down Orion as I think he eats them. Dorian always called them horse food and refused to eat them, so I know I can't pawn any off on him. I don't recall if Darius eats them or not. If I had goats, they'd like them, that's for sure, and now that I think about it, the chickens will go absolutely crazy if I throw some in there, so that is what I will do before they go bad.

Now, that's what journals are good for -- helping you think through your problems. Didn't get too far with the potato chip problem, though. Wouldn't it be nice if that was all the serious our problems were - smooshed up potato chips and too many alfalfa sprouts?

I'm really cold, so I hope I can get this done quick. I'm too lazy to go put on some shoes so that my feet aren't so cold. Laziness is a terrible thing, it really is.

Dozens of phone calls yesterday. I hate talking on the phone.

So today, I left the house at 9:00 and didn't come home til 10:00 tonight. Still had to pick up 4 calls on the answering machine and several that came into my cell phone. I guess some kids to read the literature if they are able to find my cell phone number.

Last night while I was wasting time (time which I don't have, mind you, but I am very burned out right now), I found a dishcloth knit along group on the internet. Now this might seem like a silly thing to many people, but I adore knitting dishcloths. First, they are very fast. Second, I hate washing dishes, so knitting dishcloths makes me feel like I've done my duty. When I do work in the kitchen, knitted dishcloths are the only ones I will use. I make Roger use the few store bought ones that insist on hanging on. I guess when they finally die, he'll be allowed to use the older, faded knitted dishcloths. (You know I'm joking, but honestly, he really can't tell the difference, so he doesn't deserve to use the "good" ones.) (Actually, I'm just grateful he doesn't mind doing the dishes. I don't care which cloths he uses. Yeah, right!)

Anyway, I knit up the January dishcloth, and it is very pretty. I really needed a knitting night.

I was making buttermilk yesterday to replace what I used in my bread. When it should have been finished, I couldn't get the thermos open. Roger couldn't get the thermos open. Things were getting tense as all who know me can imagine. We tried for quite a while, and Roger thought to get an adjustable wrench. I had suspected that a vacuum had been created, but I was not prepared for how strong a one was there! When he released it, cottage cheese sprayed all over me and the kitchen (not him for some reason...am I sensing a pattern here?). I don't have any idea why this happened, but I'm not tense anymore...

I also made some chicken soup from the soup mix the home storage center used to sell. I love that particular soup. I don't know why I don't make it more often. I was going to make it to give to the sister with the bad heart, but we ate most of it, so I'll make her a new batch tomorrow. Here's the recipe:

1 cup of dry soup mix (lentils, split peas, alphabet macaroni, rice, onion, I don't know what else)
1 quart chicken broth

Let that cook until the beans are soft. Then I add a pint of canned chicken and a can of evaporated milk. More water if it needs it. That's it. It is really delicious. For a bigger family, you could use everything double except the chicken, and that would help stretch the meat. I don't think I double the milk either. Just the soup mix and broth.

Today, we did new enrollments for 3 new students, and I have one more tomorrow before our church meetings. We decided to get some things done in Jacksonville we weren't able to do last week. Roger had to get the van serviced. I can't find my 9 x 13 cake pan which I use all the time, so I bought 2 more. I also got a new silpat because we aren't eating store bought baked goods anymore, so I am baking cookies more and needed another silpat. We don't eat as many of the home made cookies as we did of the store bought, but we don't feel deprived if we have some. I make a big batch, make one tray, and freeze the rest of the dough. Then I pull off one tray's worth at a time, so we never have more than 8 cookies without having to go bake some more. Last night, we even had 2 cookies left over! Of course, if I am only baking one tray of cookies at a time, you may ask yourself why I needed another silpat. When I was in BBB, I was thinking there might be an occasion when I would need 2 trays, and I am very spoiled by my silpat lined baking sheets. Whenever I have to use parchment, I could just die!

I also bought some modge podge for Roger to cement his latest puzzle. I think I'm going to die of boredom! This means we will have to find somewhere to hang his latest puzzle. I'm going to have to pick more attractive art pieces in the puzzle department. Renoir, anyone?

Joann's had cotton yarn on sale 2/$3, so I bought some balls for the knitting class I have been asked to teach at church. Hobby Lobby had needles on sale, so I bought those there. Now my ladies will have the proper supplies. I couldn't bear to give them a list and have them all bring crappy stuff, incorrect stuff, and no stuff at all saying, "I'll just watch..." It's just easier this way. Oh, quitcherbitchin, you don't have to pay for it.

We're going to start out with dishcloths, just garter stitch. I think I'll even cast on for them, and they can learn that later. They want to make socks, but that is not a good first project. Dishcloths are functional. We've already been through all that. They won't be happy, but I'm not going to start with socks when they don't even know how to knit.

I also got my new favorite knitting book rebound. I read about this on my sock list. Orion did it at Kinko's and it is only a couple of bucks. He said he has thought about rebinding his church manuals; I hadn't thought of that, but it is a good idea. None of those books want to sit flat when they are open. Then you've got to juggle them while you look something up in the scriptures.

I also had to buy a bunch of paper for February newsletter and bulletin bored, I mean board...I am not into decorating.

I have been thinking about asking to teach seminary again next year. I've been thinking about it for several weeks. I was asked if I thought I could handle it last year, but it was decided I couldn't if I was still Relief Society President, and he didn't want to release me yet. I'm thinking I might be ready for that change now.

Something that has been really bothering me is how poorly the Spanish members' kids are doing in school. I have been trying to think of a way to help them since that is what I do. I guess I'm thinking seminary might help in some way.

3 comments:

DT said...

I love Alfalfa sprouts (if indeed those are the little ones that they have at salad bars in restaurant buffets), especially on salads and sandwiches. Oh wait, what else would you put them on?

If I am thinking of the right sprout, how do you harvest those little things?

desacad said...

They are used mostly on sandwiches and salads although to get rid of them, I am stirring them into everything. Back in our hippie days we ate peanut butter and banana sandwiches with honey and sprouts ALOT. We got the idea from a vegetarian restaurant we used to go to where it was a big seller. Roger made one the other night as a matter of fact. Me, not so much. I like them in more savory (as in not sweet) offerings. I did put some in my oatmeal Monday, however.

desacad said...

oops, sorry. I didn't address the issue of harvesting. I'm not sure you understand how they are grown. No soil is used, so therefore, you just pluck them out of the tray and put them on whatever you are eating. For Christmas I gave each of the families a sprouting tray. You soak the seeds overnight in a canning jar or bowl. 2 tablespoons fills a half tray. (I made 8 tablespoons if that gives you an idea of how many sprouts I have now.) The trays are designed that way, so you can make more than one type of sprout at a time, or vary the times you start them so you have fresh sprouts all the time. Anyway, after the soaking overnight, you put them in the tray and spray them off. Keep them in a tropically warm place, about 75 degrees, covered, and spray them about 3 times a day. Within a couple of days, you'll have leaves, then leave the cover off, and they'll turn green. Keep moist but not wet.

Not all sprouts grow this long. Wheat, for example, you only want as long as the kernel. Not all sprouts are eaten raw either. But they are so packed with enzymes and vitamins, the less cooked you eat them, the better. With mung beans, the kind people think of with chinese cooking, you don't want them to get green leaves as this makes them a little bitter.

The best website for sprout info that I have found is:

http://www.sproutpeople.com/

They mention about every kind of sprout imaginable and do a lot of combining sprouts to make gourmet salads.

Sprouts are definately a wonderful addition to a healthy diet, just don't start with 8 Tablespoons!