Monday, February 5, 2007

Fast Sunday Outcome

That last date of 4 Feb. is misleading, as it was actually done in the wee hours after being up all day Saturday. Yesterday was a busy day with church and all. Being fast Sunday, Roger and I fasted to know if I should start teaching seminary again next year (as in early morning, you don't have a life anymore, seminary). We had very positive feelings, so I talked to President Allen about it in the hallway, and he jumped at the opportunity. I wasn't sure if he was happy about releasing me as RSP or putting me into seminary, but he was happy none-the-less. Perhaps he already has someone in mind for president.

I talked to one of the boys who was enrolled with us, but had to leave because he didn't have the money to pay tuition. I told him I would re-enroll him and give him his lessons at no charge if he would do the seminary program. He was ecstatic about both. He said he loves to study the scriptures. I will need to get hold of Bro. Lowry to get materials. We will finish out this year with homestudy and start with early morning next year.

I was surprised at how easily everything fell into place, but I shouldn't be. Everything we have done with the school has come about through the inspiration and guidance of the Holy Ghost. I know it is what Heavenly Father wants us to do with our life, and I know it is a blessing to many of His children. As long as we keep this at the upper most part of our minds, I think we will be doing what we are supposed to do.

I taught the lesson in RS on testimony. First we talked about the challenge to memorize the articles of faith we were given at the beginning of the year. A few members have been working on it. Then I asked why we should do this. I tried to develop the concept that as we kept saying the words "Creemos" or "We believe", it would challenge us to find out if we really do, hence helping us to develop a testimony. I know I cannot keep saying those words without thinking about my beliefs.

I had a very spiritual experience while bearing my testimony at the end of my lesson. I wish that would happen every time so that I could know that what I am saying is confirmed by the Holy Ghost, but it does not. I am very grateful when it does.

At sacrament meeting, several primary children bore their testimony as well as a couple of young women and Rodrigo, the only YM. He talked about how much he liked being a deacon. It was very sweet.

After church, I changed up the visiting teaching yet again to resolve some issues, and I will be going with Victoria Albarran, at least for a couple of months. I have 2 routes plus a bunch of mailing. Fanny is investigating, and it looks as though she will be baptized; that will be a big help.

It is hard to believe that soon I won't have to worry about that...

When I got home I had to put the beans on for nachos at Orion and Jac's house. They don't take that long in the pressure cooker. I had forgotten to soak them, and they were completely done after an hour. That helps people eat more nutritious foods if they know they can cook them faster.

We had a good FHE lesson at their home. Orion used the example from the new testament of the apostles who were called to leave their nets and follow the Savior to help us leave our own necessary nets behind. We are all to often willing to settle for our comfort zones. I guess that's how I feel about early morning seminary.

During the super bowl game, we drove over to see their new house. The inspection is today, and they will know then if they will be buying it. They are hoping to close at the end of the month. What an exciting thing for them! It is a very cute house.

I can hardly believe that all of our children will have their own home. I never would have anticipated such a thing. Roger and I did not have our own home until we moved here in 1985. We had been married 13 years! I am so proud of them. They all have nice homes, nicer than ours, so I suppose we have done our job (you know, that bit about the next generation being better than the one before it, not worse). They are all great men who have married wonderful women. I could not ask for more. I am truly a blessed mother in Zion.

1 comment:

spicytrunk said...

I am excited for you. I loved teaching seminary and we fasted along with you all on this subject. Hope you don't mind. I agree about Jac and Orion's house. I know that mom and dad are very excited about all of the children having houses. I am so greatful for the gospel in all of our lives. I hope that we all can have positive and uplifting events like yesterday's superbowl. Til later have a gospel filled day.