Tuesday, February 27, 2007

NO Success Will compensate for failures in the home

Roger and I are pretty whipped tonight, but I wanted to record a couple of things before I go to bed.

We had a meeting with the Schroeders today as she wanted to go over ways we could attract more people to the home storage center. I related our efforts to those of a proselyting mission where most of the people you contact don't want to hear what you have to say. Unfortunately we are working with members who should want to know about home storage, but it falls on deaf ears most often.

She said we are supposed to do open houses for the stake welfare committees, so we are going to figure out some good dates for that, and we want to do a Christmas open house this year (probably in September) for the regular members.

We delivered four of our Walton orders today, so I guess I will end up paying for what we couldn't sell. One of the ladies that ordered is not a member and her husband is a minister for their church. She said she has felt impressed to put food away. So we are trying to friendship her a little to help her know why we (as Mormons) do food storage.

We went to the Duval container warehouse on Myrtle Street and bought 13 2 gallon pails for the gamma lids I had previously purchased. I think they will be the perfect size. They also had ball canning jars which I found interesting. The 1/2 gallon size is $1.50 each in cases of 6. This includes a 2-piece lid. I am going to use them to break down the dehydrated potato products I purchased: hasbrowns, dice, slices. 6 gallon buckets is way too big. Maybe I will put my beans in them too. It takes me a long time to use a #10 can. Of course, I am going to start canning more of my beans and store them that way. I'm not sure what I'm going to use the 2 gallon pails for; I think I'll put wheat and grains in them instead of the #10 cans so they can be recycled.

We went to Wyatt's pack meeting tonight, the blue and gold banquet, their big yearly event. Wyatt had earned several awards for which he was very proud. He's done a great job with a little help from his fantastic den leaders!

The mood was spoiled a little by remarks made by the cubmaster who had all the eagles in attendance come to the stand. Most held leadership roles in their ward, and the cubmaster tried to make the connection that it was no accident that their eagles all held leadership positions. Previous to this, his father, one of the eagles, had made the point that scouting is a tool for parents to use as they try to rear their children righteously. It is too bad they didn't stop there because evidently they forgot about all the great men in the Church who have not earned their eagle. In fact, the majority of members in the church today do not have boy scouts in their countries and so are not afforded this opportunity.

Scouting is a great tool, but that is all that it is. It is not an inspired program in and of itself. The brethren have been inspired to incorporate in the YM's programs of the Church, but I believe the day will come when that will not be the case.

The true success in the Church for effectively building leaders is the missionary program of the Church. I think seminary is helpful in preparing YM for their missions along with other church programs. Ultimately, I think what goes on in the home is the greatest factor.

3 comments:

DT said...

The ward is pretty excited about the Date Night/Family Home Evening this Friday. And we are pretty excited too. You guys still spending the night here, right? Do you want our extra twin bed mattress, or an air mattress?

spicytrunk said...

I love reading your journal entry. They have so much insight. I was wondering what is so interesting about the ball canner jars. Also, I fully agree about Scouts being a tool and that's it. We can gain a lot of insight from differences sources. I love the gospel. Inspiration and revelation from difference sources inables us to grow spiritually and stay on the path to our Father in Heaven. I might not comment very often, but I love to read these insights and the comments by others.

desacad said...

how about both mattresses? your dad gets up so much it makes me seasick on the air mattress, but we both won't fit on the twin. if there's not room, that's ok too. we'll adjust!

A lot of people have told me they are having trouble finding ball jars, so I was glad to see that Duval Container has them. I don't think they are any cheaper, but I was thinking about how $1.50 was a cheap air tight container for that size (1/2 gallon). They don't even need oxypacks if they are sealed with vacuum sealer, and they can be resealed each time they are used.

I have been really thinking a lot about how much we use of our storage and how little we need now that it is just Roger and I. A half gallon of each kind of bean would be a lot for us.

I was also thinking that I might just store all of our beans wet, meaning I might pressure can all of them. 120 pounds of beans is the recommended amount. That would make about 240 jars. I know the storage requirement would be greater, but the convenience would be easier. I have a really good recipe for bean n bacon soup I have been wanting to can:

Canned Bean and Bacon Soup

Recipe By Bernie

4 lbs. dried navy beans soaked over night
4 qts. tomato juice
6 cups chopped onion
4 lbs. bacon
4 cups chopped carrots
8 cups diced potatoes
6 cups diced celery
2 tsp. pepper and canning salt to taste
2 bay leaves

Combine all ingredients except bacon and onion; cook until soft. Cut bacon into small pieces and fry, remove and add onions and cook until soft. Put all ingredients together and heat until it starts to simmer. Remove bay leaves before putting into jars. Process for 1 hour @ 10 lbs. pressure. Makes about 14 qts.

Note: 1 med. onion is about a cup
2 medium stocks of celery is about 6 cups
1 large package of carrots is about 4 cups
5 medium potatoes is about 8 cups

When you want to heat and eat--Put about 1 cup full in blender and puree and add to rest of soup and it will make it thicker just like store bought--but better because you made it.

I could probably eat that everyday!