Sunday, January 28, 2007

Sunday...and it begins again

First, I'd like to say how much I enjoy reading all your comments. I have been thinking since Dorian said something about starting his own blog, and since Bonnie has begun her own blog, that we could have a blog ring. Then when we want to read what others in the family are doing, we could read their blog. We wouldn't have to feel obligated to comment unless there was something of particular note. I think we all have to use the same blogger for that to work, but I'm not sure. I'm very new at this as you know.

I have found this a pleasant way to keep in touch. Most of us aren't the types that pick up the phone just to say "How are you doing?", but we still want to know (or at least I do) what and how you are all doing.

The address for the one I am using is: http://www2.blogger.com/home

Reading Orion's birthday list reminded me to ask: What did everyone think of Superman Returns? Not quite sure why, I really liked it. I guess it was kinda of an origin type movie which I always like them. It's kind of like my favorite scriptures are phophet farewells.

It is so hard to believe my children are getting older...Bonnie will be 30 this year! I don't know where the time goes. I can remember as a young child time used to stand still. I wonder if there is a phenomenom that happens as we get older to make time go so fast. I keep imagining that it will eventually spin into a dot, and that is when I die. When we start out on this life, it is a giant swirl that takes forever to resolve. I wonder how close to the center I am?

My favorite part of Sunday is the investigator Sunday School class. I have been attending that class all of my church life except for the years I taught in Primary or taught Gospel Doctrine. Some of the years when I taught seminary, I would use the Sunday School time to prepare my lessons for the week, but don't tell the Sunday School president!

The last few years I have had the opportunity to attend the investigator class in Spanish. We have both an English and Spanish investigator and Gospel Doctrine class this year plus the teenager class Orion used to teach.

Since I have been attending the class so many years, I am pretty well versed on the lessons, so it is pretty easy for me to follow even though it is in Spanish. The only problem I ever have is when Bro. Reyes teaches, as he does a lot of visual object lessons, and if I don't catch the noun, I don't know what he is talking about. One time he did one on elephants, and I was really lost since I didn't know the spanish word for elephants (still don't). Today it was monkeys, which is monos, I believe. (I'm sure Darius will correct me if I'm wrong.) We have 2 new members who have been called to teach that class, but they have not been there for a couple of weeks, so Bro. Reyes teaches since he is the branch mission leader.

Anyway, the reason I love the class so much is because we have so many great gospel lessons. The Spanish people are so open about asking questions. There was a man there for the first time who asked, "Who is this Joseph Smith you keep talking about?", so Elder Nielson took the opportunity to teach the first discussion. Another sister there for the first time asked why there were so many churches anyway. A newer member who is still in the class was disturbed when Bro. Reyes mentioned heavenly parents; he had taught that lesson a couple of weeks ago, but she was not there. I love classes where everyone participates, and I find that in that class, people are more willing to participate than not. Some great questions come up, and there was a beautiful spirit there today as Elder Nielson told about Joseph's quest to find the truth.

We also talked about the war in heaven over free agency. Since I have been reading that chapter in _Articles of Faith_, it was interesting. I really do love the gospel and how it affects every area of our lives even when it doesn't seem like a churchy thing.

I was depressed after church though; there are so many families having some really serious trials right now. I worry about them and whether they have the strength to get through it. I wonder if there is something I should be doing to help them. I know I will feel prompted, but I feel prompted all the time. Roger gets upset with me for my constant go, go, go. There is so much to do. I know I need to pray more these folks, and as I pray for them listen carefully for answers as to whether my help is needed or not for real. I know that for me, oftentimes prayer was what was needed.

One young mother of 3 has been told she probably has cancer of the spleen. They are doing tests. They have no insurance. Her husband was just baptized a month ago, so I know this is a testing for them. It all seems so dramatic somehow. Why do people need such a difficult trial?

Another family with 5 children, the father has moved out. He took the car with him as they only have one vehicle. Today he came home so that they could come to church, I guess. He is not giving them money for food; I don't know why. Maybe he is having expenses too, being on his own although he is staying with his brother. I wish I knew what to say so that they could know they need to stick it out. What makes me think I know what is best for them anyway? I just hate to see people struggling that hard.

On the up side, I asked one of the boys where his girl friend was, and he said they realized that going out was not wise, that they needed to be just friends until they were older. Sister Reyes has really been throwing the Strength of Youth pamplet at them, so I'm hoping this is for real, and that the youth realize solo dating is not a good thing for them. He is only 15 and she is a non-member 8th grader who has been coming. We have another couple getting serious; he is 17 and she is 14; both live in homes that have been pretty worldly, so we're not expecting good things there. Maybe I'm too pessimistic. I just know how hard it is in the world for our youth. I held my breath for about 15 years with my kids, and I think they had it easier than most kids who are in the world today. (I doubt that they think so, however!)

We were asked to go to the NEW Beginnings tonight, and as they young women sang their song, I looked in their sweet, little faces, and wondered how many of them would indeed make it to the temple. Only one of them had parents who have gone! It will be so hard for them. I know I have been greatly blessed...

No comments: