Monday, October 13, 2008

committment

Good old Steve. I love his slant on things. Please visit Darius' blog to follow this thread as this is a good summary of it.

http://trunkybeat.blogspot.com/2008/09/you-might-be-raw-foodist-when.html

(While you're there, sign up for the feed. He's very insightful and fun to read. Of course, I might be prejudiced...)

I actually started sun gazing Saturday after I heard the lecturer, Ken Rohla (http://beyondrawfood.com/blog/), talk about it earlier that day. I actually believe one could be a breatharian, but it will have to wait until I am ready to give up my current addiction: delicious raw food.

RE: $5 a day - that is $150 a month; I believe if one were willing to garden and sprout a lot, that number could go down significantly. I am also trying to learn to eat wild plants more which cuts down on the work and money spent. There are a lot of raw fooders who are past the initial novelty phase that eat very simply and very cheaply.

Re: cost. Health insurance is very expensive these days, and we won't even talk about health care. Even with co-pays, people I know spend a small fortune. The re-investment of those dollars into a more healthful lifestyle would save more than money. Darius again, would have a thing or two to say about that since his last bout with cancer.

I don't keep track of what I spend, but I know that just not eating at fast food places and restaurants has saved me tons. I really don't enjoy going out anymore - to eat - that is. I love going out to other kinds of activities that I never did much when I was a SADist. Even going to raw food restaurants I think of more as an educational investment as I try to eat things I've never made or sometimes never even heard of.

For example, Saturday, at the lecture, I had a samosa. I'd never eaten any Indian food before so was not sure what to expect. Kasey, the chef at Present Moment, came out and showed me how to MAKE the coconut wrappers. They were tasty and definately a special event type food for me anyway.

I went to a seminary inservice meeting the other day, and our lesson was on becoming converted to the gospel through this conversation:

Do you get it?
Do you feel it?
Do you love it?
Are you willing to live it?

All of these steps must be followed before one can say they are converted. I strongly believe eating a more plant based and natural diet is part of the Word of Wisdom, and it is an important part of my testimony of the gospel. I know that sounds extreme to some, but I think if we truly get it (the gospel), our lifestyle choices must be examined to see if they are in sync with it. Feeling it, loving it, and actually being willing to do it follow right along.

I need to post a new pic of Roger than the one in the previous post...he's under the 250 pound mark! That is the smallest he has weighed in at least 30 years. He looks amazing! He is becoming a little vain, actually!!!!

No comments: