Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Change Before You Have To

I learned a couple of things to day that I want to catalogue before I forget them. One is the title, and I'm not sure where it comes from. It was quoted in a talk I was listening to from Kevin Gianni. It referred to making changes in the business arena before the world runs over you, but it certainly applies in our personal lives as well.

I was thinking about it in terms of repentance. I was preparing my lesson for seminary the text of which was Ezekiel 37. The context is that the first 36 chapters, Ezekiel has fortold doom and destruction for the house of Israel. We are referred back to the D&C scripture that tells us the always come back lovingly with those whom we have chastised, and we see that the Lord follows this pattern with Israel. He had no choice but to execute judgement on them, but he lovingly lets them have the hope of the resurrection and the knowledge that Israel would be gathered at a later time, in fact one in his hand.

When it comes to repenting, it seems like it would be better to change before we are forced to. When we see things in our lives that need changing, take the hint, and work on making a change. I am learning that the Lord is very patient with us in this regard. He really doesn't care how long it takes us. It is to our own advantage to change sooner than later, but if we hold back for whatever reason, he waits for us. Of course, that day comes inevitably when we must pay the piper, but then he is still there to offer us hope.

This is certainly a pattern that applies to our health choices. It would seem that if we affect change before we have to that we would not suffer nearly as many consequences to our rambunctious behavior. We have certainly learned this painful lesson with Darius' cancer.

I keep wondering if I had read The China Study earlier, would it have made a difference? I have studied so many of these principles over the years, I doubt that it would have. I think I had to see it up close and personal for it to sink into my thick head. This realization has made me a lot more sympathetic to the plight of the house of Israel.

I heard today of another book called The Four Agreements. From don Miguel Ruiz' website:

"Everything we do is based on agreements we have made - agreements with ourselves, with other people, with God, with life. But the most important agreements are the ones we make with ourselves. In these agreements we tell ourselves who we are, how to behave, what is possible, what is impossible. One single agreement is not such a problem, but we have many agreements that come from fear, deplete our energy, and diminish our self-worth."

Here are the four agreements, again from their website:

1. Be Impeccable With Your Word

Speak with integrity. Say only what you mean. Avoid using the word to speak against yourself or to gossip about others. Use the power of your word in the direction of truth and love.

2. Don't Take Anything Personally

Nothing others do is because of you. What others say and do is a projection of their own reality, their own dream. When you are immune to the opinions and actions of others, you won't be the victim of needless suffering.

3. Don't Make Assumptions

Find the courage to ask questions and to express what you really want. Communicate with others as clearly as you can to avoid misunderstandings, sadness and drama. With just this one agreement, you can completely transform your life.

4. Always Do Your Best

Your best is going to change from moment to moment; it will be different when you are healthy as opposed to sick. Under any circumstance, simply do your best, and you will avoid self-judgment, self-abuse and regret.

I am already feeling like the execution of these agreements would make a difference in our lives. I can't wait to read the book and change before I am compelled to.

No comments: